TVNews provides online exercises based on local news videos (from News Archive) and other thematic videos for self-access learning and teaching. It is available to teachers and students in Hong Kong with their EdCity accounts.
Choose your level and start the challenges (modules). If you are new to TVNews, we recommend that you go to [Module 0 - Trial] to familiarise yourself with the format before you start Module 01.
IMPORTANT: If this is the first time you access TVNews in 2022/23, you must click on either button to enrol yourself to the right level, or click on any game on English Campus to get started.
From now till 31 May, participate in TVNews and get the redemption code for a 'Birthday Gacha Fun' token and more Open Days limited rewards for Small Campus!
- Encourage students to learn English via authentic multimedia online resources, enriching their English vocabulary and enhancing their listening skills
- Increase students' awareness of social issues in Hong Kong
- Broaden students' exposure in a wide range of areas, e.g. science, technology, culture
- Facilitate students' self-directed learning
There are three levels for students to choose from:
- Junior Level: Suitable for P4-6 students
- Intermediate Level: Suitable for S1-3 students
- Senior Level: Suitable for S4-6 students
Students are encouraged to opt for a level that is suitable to their abilities.
TVNews challenges are built on local news and other thematic videos, testing students' vocabulary and comprehension of the videos. The challenges are delivered through a VLE (Virtual Learning Environment).
There are 4 items in each challenge (called 'Module' in the VLE):
- Prep: Learn about the topic and useful words / phrases from the video.
- Vocab / Grammar Game: Test your understanding of the vocabulary / grammar items related to the video.
- Watch: View the video and answer related questions.
- Wrap-Up: Express your feelings and record any reflections.
There are marks allocated for different items in each module. Students with the highest marks in each phase and level will get awarded.
In the VLE, there is a trial module for students to familiarise themselves with the navigation and format of a challenge. Students' work in this trial module does not affect their overall results.
Students can also check their completed work and progress through 'Grades' in the VLE.
In addition to news videos, a wide range of thematic videos are included in the challenges:
- science / nature
- travel / culture
- books / literature
Teachers can refer to the school report for students' performances in each module.
Meanwhile, teachers also can view the practices as a student in the VLE.
Local news videos in English and Chinese are available.
Go to News Archive
|Junior Level - Life on Mars||Intermediate Level - Border reopening||Senior Level - Travel around the world|