Winter English is organised by Hong Kong Education City and Highlights for Children. It aims at facilitating primary school students’ English learning and social emotional development through gamified learning with English stories related to social emotional learning.
The stories are under four themes:
- Understanding Culture
- Helping the Community
Winter English is open to all primary school students in Hong Kong.
Junior Primary Division: P1-3 students
Senior Primary Division: P4-6 students
- Schools that have enrolled are entitled to win school prizes. The teacher-in-charge having enrolled will receive award notification for both student and school prizes.
- All primary school students in Hong Kong are free to join Winter English at any time and get individual student prizes.
- The challenges consist of reading passages and relevant questions. Students can only attempt each challenge ONCE.
- When attempting the challenges, students will gain marks when they have got a correct answer, and extra marks if they have got all the answers of a challenge correct. Students with highest marks within each division will get prizes.
- The school prizes are determined based on the participation rates of each school (i.e. number of participating students / total number of students within the school).
- Results will be announced in February 2019 on this website. Schools with awarded students will be notified of the prize pickup arrangement.
- The organisers have the final decision on the rules, terms and results of Winter English.