Why Does a Chameleon Change Colors?
Last Modified: 24/11/2020
There reasons why and the way how a chameleon changes its color are very cool.
- 1Chameleons are pretty famous for their color changing abilities.
- 2But do you know why they change their color?
- 3Well, they do this to regulate their body temperatures,...
- 4...hide from predators or to signal their intentions to other chameleons.
- 5There are several layers in a chameleon's skin.
- 6The outermost layer is transparent,...
- 7...beneath this layer there are a few more layers...
- 8...that contain a pigment called chromatophores...
- 9...which contain light reflecting cells.
- 10The chromatophores at each level are filled with sacs of different kinds of pigment.
- 11The deepest layer contains melanophores, which contain brown melanin.
- 12Melanin is the same pigment that gives different shades to the human skin.
- 13The layer above this, contains cells called iridophores,...
- 14...which contain a blue pigment that reflects blue and white light.
- 15Above this layer, there are cells called xanthophores and erythrophores...
- 16...which contain yellow and red pigments respectively.