The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Last Modified: 02/08/2019
Learn the days of the week while following a little caterpillar's journey through becoming a butterfly.
- 1 The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.
- 2For my sister Crista.
- 3In the light of the moon, a little egg lay on a leaf.
- 4One Sunday morning, the warm sun came up...
- 5...and popped out of the egg came a tiny and very hungry caterpillar.
- 6He started to look for some food.
- 7On Monday, he ate through one apple.
- 8But he was still hungry.
- 9On Tuesday, he ate through two pears.
- 10But he was still hungry.
- 11On Wednesday, he ate through three plums.
- 12But he was still hungry.
- 13On Thursday, he ate through four strawberries.
- 14But he was still hungry.
- 15On Friday, he ate through five oranges.
- 16But he was still hungry.
- 17On Saturday, he ate through: one piece of chocolate cake, one ice cream cone,...
- 18...one pickle, one slice of Swiss cheese, one slice of salami,...
- 19...one lollipop, one piece of cherry pie, one sausage,...
- 20...one cupcake, and one slice of watermelon.
- 21That night, he had a stomachache.
- 22The next day was Sunday again.
- 23The caterpillar ate through one nice green leaf.
- 24And after that, he felt much better.
- 25Now, he wasn't hungry anymore.
- 26And he wasn't a little caterpillar anymore.
- 27He was a big, fat caterpillar.
- 28He built a small house, called a cocoon, around himself.
- 29He stayed inside for more than two weeks.
- 30Then, he nibbled a hole in the cocoon,...
- 31...pushed his way out and...
- 32...he was a beautiful butterfly.