How to Make Onigirazu
Last Modified: 17/08/2018
A chef explains the basic way of making a popular Japanese snack.
- 1 The first onigirazu I'm going to prepare is tuna mayonnaise.
- 2Start by putting one whole can of tuna into a bowl.
- 3This will give you around two servings.
- 4Season with salt and black pepper.
- 5Add a generous amount of mayonnaise, some lemon juice...
- 6...and around three tablespoons of finely-chopped onions.
- 7Give it a good mix.
- 8The principles behind all of the onigirazu will be the same.
- 9Start by placing a sheet of cling film onto a chopping board.
- 10Take one roasted nori seaweed sheet.
- 11They will usually have one side which has a rougher texture...
- 12...and the other side with a shinier and smoother texture.
- 13When making sushi rolls or onigirazu, ensure that the rough side is facing up.
- 14This is so that the smoother, aesthetically pleasing side...
- 15...is visible on the outside of the onigirazu.
- 16Place some warm steamed rice in the center of the nori sheet,...
- 17...season with salt, place some lettuce...
- 18...and cucumber on top of the rice,...
- 19...followed by the tuna mayonnaise.
- 20Then, top off with some more rice.
- 21Season again with some salt.
- 22Next, fold in the edges to create a parcel.
- 23It's important not to squeeze too hard...
- 24...as you'll end up with a really dense and unpleasant texture when eating.
- 25Finally, wrap the onigirazu with the cling film.
- 26Reshape and allow to rest on the side for a few minutes,...
- 27...enough time for the edges of the nori to stick together to form a parcel.