The Origins of Friday the 13th
Last Modified: 16/04/2018
There are several myths that explain why an ordinary day of the week combined with a date in the calendar is unlucky.
- 1 What makes an ordinary day of the week and the number on the calendar...
- 2...combine to create the unluckiest day of the year?
- 3According to author David Emery, Friday itself is an unlucky day of the week,...
- 4...dating back to Roman times when Friday was execution day,...
- 5...while the number 13 has its own lengthy list of bad omens.
- 6Many cities do not have a 13th Street or Avenue.
- 7Buildings are often built without 13th floors or they skip 13 when numbering the levels.
- 8One belief even says if you have 13 letters to your name, it's the "devil's luck" for you.
- 9Some examples include Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer and Theodore Bundy.
- 10Well, this doesn't look good.
- 11One, two, three, 13.
- 12Thanks a lot, Mom and Dad.
- 13This fear of Friday the 13th, paraskevidekatriaphobia,...
- 14...grips an estimated 21 million Americans each year.
- 15But few are to be found right here in the Northwoods.
- 16So whether it truly stems back to a day of the week when executions were performed...
- 17...or a number considered imperfect and unlucky, try not to let it change your luck today.
- 18That is, unless you're...
- 19..."Very superstitious."