Jewelry from Trash
Last Modified: 28/02/2018
Nurdle in the Rough specializes in making beautiful and exotic jewelry from ocean trash.
- 1Kamilo beach is one of the dirtiest beaches in the world.
- 2A lot of the currents bring plastic in from the open ocean.
- 3The name Kamilo actually translates to "twisting currents".
- 4I went there to do a little bit of a beach cleanup and scope the area out.
- 5And that's when I started interacting with the material and seeing how I could use it,...
- 6...which inspired me to take action and to start Nurdle in the Rough.
- 7Nurdle in the Rough jewelry is jewelry that's made from ocean plastic.
- 8A lot of times people come up to me and ask me what kind of stone I'm wearing.
- 9It's really a great segue into a conversation about how much plastic is in our oceans.
- 10I'm really passionate about taking this ugly plastic pollution...
- 11...and transforming it into something beautiful...
- 12...these gemstones that are sleek and they have these beautiful textures...
- 13...and lines on them that tell the story of where this plastic has been.
- 14I cut the material up and I start rounding and shaping it and polishing it down by hand.
- 15I use all recycled sterling silver and I set the marine debris like I would a stone.
- 16I try to make designs that are eye-catching and have a little bit of an intrigue.
- 17Some are inspired by sea life...
- 18...and some are inspired by the beauty that I find in the material.