The Oldest Woman Skydiver
Last Modified: 09/01/2019
The oldest female skydiver in the world describes what it's like for her to do this dangerous sport.
- 1I am a world record holder for being the oldest woman skydiver in the world.
- 2I don't worry that my carpet is rather threadbare and old as long as I'm skydiving.
- 3But I do get scared,...
- 4...and I used to be so scared that I would drive the car up to the drop zone...
- 5...and think, "I could go back,"...
- 6..."I don't have to stay here," but I knew if I went away, I'd never come back again.
- 7So, the ecstasy was more than the fear.
- 8The first time I jumped out of an airplane, I thought I was gonna die,...
- 9...and as I fell, I thought, "What a mistake."
- 10"This is death."
- 11I could remember it now,...
- 12...and then the next second, I thought, "Ah! I'm flying!"
- 13Skydiving gives you the most intense, wonderful feeling.
- 14I think sometimes we get pulled down by fear.
- 15We get pulled down by necessity of work and it's a mistake.
- 16But having done skydive, I learned courage.
- 17I learned to go,...
- 18...and that has been the biggest turning point in my life.