Do the Small Things in a Big Way
Last Modified: 25/07/2017
Justin Trudeau gives a beautiful speech when he received an honorary degree from the University of Edinburgh.
- 1Now, I know that many convocation speeches...
- 2...hinge on the variation of the "Do big things" mantra.
- 3And that's important.
- 4But I also think that it's equally important...
- 5...to talk about the idea of "doing the small things in a big way".
- 6Maybe doing small things in a big way...
- 7...means giving that extra 10 bucks a month to charity,...
- 8...if you really believe in it.
- 9Or sending your mom flowers on a day other than Mother's Day.
- 10Or striking up a friendly conversation with someone...
- 11...who looks totally different from you.
- 12Or trading your car for a bike, when the sun's out.
- 13Whether you realize it or not, these things matter.
- 14That extra 10 bucks just brought textbooks for a girl trying to get an education.
- 15Those flowers?
- 16Well, they just made your mom's whole week.
- 17Your new friend's story will help you understand your own identity....
- 18...in a totally different light.
- 19And that bike?
- 20Well, that bike is saving the planet.
- 21Your actions, today and tomorrow, big and small, have an impact.
- 22So, be kind, say please and thank you, and hold the door.
- 23At this exact moment, you're all worried about what you're going to do...
- 24...but don't worry about that stuff.
- 25Figure out instead who you're going to be.
- 26The rest will follow.
- 27So, let me leave you with this.
- 28If it excites you a lot and scares you a little, then you should probably do it.
- 29Be bold, be brave, be open to the incredible opportunities in front of you.
- 30Class of 2017, we need you.
- 31The world needs you.
- 32So, be the best versions of yourselves...
- 33...and go make us all proud.