By vs. Until
Last Modified: 10/03/2017
Learn the difference between "by" and "until."
- 1You can watch this until nine o'clock,...
- 2...but then we're going to change channels.
- 3What's happening at nine o'clock?
- 4"Dancing With the Stars" is on.
- 5She loves that program.
- 6Gorgeous day and it's going to stay like this until the weekend.
- 7It's a terrible day, but it'll be nice by the weekend.
- 8Until: a situation that continues up to a time.
- 9Gorgeous day and it's going to stay like this until the weekend.
- 10By: at or before a time, no later than.
- 11It's a terrible day, but it'll be nice by the weekend.
- 12So, there's "until" and "by" and what's this?
- 13"Till" is another way of saying "until."
- 14Notice we spell it with two Ls.
- 15All these words are useful for talking about deadlines.
- 16I need your report by Friday.
- 17Friday is the deadline.
- 18You must give me your report on Friday or before.
- 19I need your report until Friday.
- 20I have your report and I'm going to need it all week.
- 21You can have it back after Friday.