Gender Equality for All 4
Last Modified: 17/08/2017
Actress Emma Watson invites everyone to support the struggle for gender equality.
- 1You might be thinking, "Who is this Harry Potter girl?"
- 2"And what is she doing speaking at the UN?"
- 3And it's a really good question; I have been asking myself the same thing.
- 4All I know is that I care about this problem,...
- 5...and I want to make it better.
- 6And having seen what I've seen and given the chance,...
- 7...I feel it is my responsibility to say something.
- 8Statesman Edmund Burke said, "All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph..."
- 9"...is for good men and women to do nothing."
- 10In my nervousness for this speech and in my moments of doubt...
- 11...I've told myself firmly, "If not me, who?"
- 12"If not now, when?"
- 13If you have similar doubts when opportunities are presented to you...
- 14...I hope that those words will be helpful.
- 15Because the reality is that if we do nothing,...
- 16...it will take 75 years or for me to be nearly a hundred...
- 17...before women can expect to be paid the same as men for the same work.
- 1815.5 million girls will be married in the next 16 years as children.
- 19And at current rates, it won't be until 2086...
- 20...before all rural African girls can have a secondary education.
- 21If you believe in equality,...
- 22...you might be one of those inadvertent feminists that I spoke of earlier.
- 23And for this, I applaud you.
- 24We are struggling for a uniting word,...
- 25...but the good news is that we have a uniting movement.
- 26It is called "HeForShe."
- 27I am inviting you to step forward, to be seen...
- 28...and to ask yourself, "If not me, who?"
- 29"If not now, when?"
- 30Thank you very, very much.