How to Be Romantic Without Being Cheesy
Last Modified: 14/02/2017
There are several ways to express love without being sentimental or embarrassing.
- 1There's a fine line between being a hopeless romantic and just being hopeless.
- 2These tips will help keep you on this side of cheesy.
- 3You will need insight into your partner,...
- 4...cliche avoidance, writing skills and an act of kindness.
- 5Step one.
- 6Know your partner's tastes, especially when it comes to public displays of affection.
- 7What's hopelessly romantic to one person is mortifyingly cheesy to another.
- 8Step two. Avoid cliches.
- 9If your romantic gesture is a staple of bodice-ripping novels and bad romcoms,...
- 10...it's probably more cheesy than romantic.
- 11Step three.
- 12Unless you're a professional singer-songwriter, don't write your love a song.
- 13Insipid lyrics, out of tune singing, one-note guitar strumming?
- 14They haven't got time for the cheese.
- 15Step four. Do try your hand at writing your sweetie a love letter on real paper.
- 16To make it romantic without being cheesy, keep it simple and straightforward.
- 17Don't compare their lips to rubies or their eyes to diamonds.
- 18Just tell them honestly why you love them.
- 19If you write them a love poem, make sure it doesn't rhyme.
- 20Step five. When it comes to gifts, treat your lover like a grown-up.
- 21If the present is something a five-year-old would enjoy, it's cheesy, not romantic.
- 22Step six. Do something nice for them that makes their day a little brighter or their life a little easier.
- 23Sometimes, just being kind is the most romantic gesture of all.
- 24Did you know? Honolulu was voted the most romantic city in the United States...
- 25...and Dallas-Fort Worth was voted the least romantic.