The Chemistry of Love
Last Modified: 14/02/2017
A man explains how the chemicals in our brain affect the way we feel about someone.
- 1So, as it turns out, our brain signals the release of different compounds...
- 2...when we're in love.
- 3Really, there's a whole lot of compounds,...
- 4...but I'm going to tell you today about the main three.
- 5They're all neurotransmitters which means it's affecting our nervous system.
- 6And yes, they're a little bit addicting.
- 7First, dopamine.
- 8Dopamine is part of the reward system.
- 9It makes you feel really happy.
- 10It's addictive too.
- 11You crave it.
- 12In this case, it makes you want to be with that person a lot.
- 13Next, serotonin.
- 14Serotonin helps us regulate appetite as well as mood and muscle contraction.
- 15It results in extra focus and compulsive thinking.
- 16Basically, it causes you to think about that person all the time.
- 17Finally, adrenaline.
- 18Adrenaline is released in the brain's adrenal gland.
- 19It circulates quickly in the blood and makes you focus on the task at hand,...
- 20...elevates your heart and makes you sweat.
- 21It's a stress molecule, right?
- 22And of course, the fight-or-flight drug.
- 23All right, now let's review.
- 24The feeling of love comes from the hormones released from your brain.
- 25These hormones affect your mood and actions.
- 26If you understand this, you'll make wiser decisions.
- 27For instance, scientists suggest not to make life-changing decisions...
- 28...when you're under the influence of love chemicals.
- 29So, there you have it.
- 30The chemistry of love.