Pepper Scatter Trick
Last Modified: 17/01/2017
Try this cool experiment and show it to your friends.
- 1Today, I'm gonna show you a really cool experiment with water and ground black pepper.
- 2Start by taking a plate.
- 3I like to use a white one like this...
- 4...and pour on some water.
- 5Then take your pepper and sprinkle a bit all over the water like this.
- 6You can see the pepper sits on the surface of the water,...
- 7...and if you dip your fingertip in, nothing really happens.
- 8You might get some pepper stuck to your finger, but that's about it.
- 9Next, take some washing-up liquid...
- 10...and wipe a tiny amount on the end of your finger like this,...
- 11...then try dipping your finger into the water again.
- 12As you can see, the pepper seems to magically shoot away from your finger.
- 13So, here's what's happening.
- 14The pepper sits on the water because of the high water surface tension.
- 15The water molecules are strongly attracted together.
- 16When we add a little soap, we break down this surface tension...
- 17...and the top layer of water molecules very quickly spread out...
- 18...and carry the pepper with them.
- 19Pretty cool, huh