Why Do I Have to Sleep?
Last Modified: 06/11/2017
This video talks about what the body does during sleep and the reasons why it is a good thing.
- 1It's time for us to go to bed now.
- 2Oh! Why do I have to go to bed now?
- 3To go to sleep, of course.
- 4But why do I have to go to sleep?
- 5You don't really do anything when you're asleep, do you?
- 6You do, actually.
- 7And sleeping is important for everybody.
- 8Why is it important to sleep?
- 9Well, for a few reasons.
- 10When you're asleep, your brain helps to sort out different things you've been doing;...
- 11...thinking and learning during the day.
- 12My brain does all of that when I'm asleep?
- 13Yes, it does!
- 14And you do even more things than that when you're asleep.
- 15What else do I do?
- 16Well, your body gets tired during the day,...
- 17...and it needs time to slow down and have a rest,...
- 18...so that you'll be ready for the next day.
- 19Even your breathing slows down and has to rest while you're sleeping.
- 20Oh! But what if I don't feel tired?
- 21Do I still need to go to sleep then?
- 22Oh yes! All people, and especially children, need to go to sleep every night.
- 23And what would happen if I stay there all night tonight?
- 24All night the next night, all night the next night, and all night!
- 25Well, you will get too tired to play, too tired to learn new things, you might get sick,...
- 26...and you would certainly get cross and cranky.
- 27So, even if I'm not tired now, I'd better go to sleep.
- 28Yes, you better.
- 29Then your body will have enough energy for tomorrow,...
- 30...for thinking, playing, laughing, eating, running and growing.
- 31Well, let's go then.
- 32Race you to the bedroom!
- 33Beat you!
- 34Good night