Why Are Fingerprints Unique?
Last Modified: 24/01/2017
Fingerprints are unique to each person, making it a very important tool in solving crimes.
- 1Why are our fingerprints unique and what is their purpose?
- 2Fingerprints don't change as you age.
- 3They stand the test of time and are actually pretty dang durable.
- 4One man named Haans Galassi lost a few fingers in a wakeboarding accident.
- 5One of his fingers was identified in a trout...
- 6...months later by using fingerprinting technology.
- 7And you leave your fingerprints...
- 8....on just about anything that you come in contact with throughout the day:...
- 9...glasses, tables, door handles.
- 10The oils and sweat in your hands create the print.
- 11With the right solution, you can actually identify the fingerprint...
- 12...and trace it back to whoever left it.
- 13It sure does come in handy when police are looking for criminals.
- 14You get it?
- 15Handy, hands?
- 17Well, now you know their purpose but why are they unique to you?
- 18Fingerprints are created in the womb by a random combination of stem cells...
- 19...into "ridge" type cells and "valley" type cells.
- 20The randomness of heat and chemical diffusion...
- 21...creates the pattern before you're even born.
- 22And unless you cut off your fingertips completely, they're not going anywhere