How the Christmas Tree Came to Be
Last Modified: 23/12/2016
There are legends that explain how the Christmas tree became a symbol for the holidays.
- 1Many legends surround the beginnings of Christmas tree decorations.
- 2One of the most popular such legends proposes that it began with Saint Boniface,...
- 3..in Germany around the 1st century.
- 4St. Boniface happened upon a pagan ritual involving an oak tree,...
- 5...and enraged, cut it down.
- 6A miracle occurred when out of the roots rose a young fir tree.
- 7St. Boniface then believed the tree to be a gift from God...
- 8...and as such, deserving of adoration.
- 9Another purports Martin Luther is "The Father of the Christmas tree".
- 10And still others credit the Egyptians with this well-loved tradition.
- 11Regardless of origin though, it is clear that the custom has changed...
- 12...and evolved throughout the centuries...
- 13...and become the family affair we look forward to today