Gender Equality for All 2
Last Modified: 22/02/2017
Actress Emma Watson talks about how women should have the same rights as men.
- 1I am from Britain and I think it is right...
- 2...that I am paid the same as my male counterparts.
- 3I think it is right that I should be able to make decisions about my own body.
- 4I think it is right that women be involved, on my behalf, in the policies...
- 5...and the decisions that will affect my life.
- 6I think it is right that socially, I am afforded the same respect as men.
- 7But sadly, I can say that there is no one country in the world...
- 8...where all women can expect to receive these rights.
- 9No country in the world can yet say that they have achieved gender equality.
- 10These rights, I consider to be human rights, but I am one of the lucky ones.
- 11My life is a sheer privilege...
- 12...because my parents didn't love me less because I was born a daughter.
- 13My school did not limit me because I was a girl.
- 14My mentors didn't assume that I would go less far...
- 15...because I might give birth to a child one day.
- 16These influences were the gender equality ambassadors that made me who I am today.
- 17They may not know it,...
- 18...but they are the inadvertent feminists who are changing the world today.
- 19We need more of those.
- 20And if you still hate the word, it is not the word that is important,...
- 21...it's the idea and the ambition behind it...
- 22...because not all women have received the same rights that I have.
- 23In fact, statistically, very few have been