All About Giraffes
Last Modified: 17/08/2017
Let's learn about Giraffes!
- 1Let's learn about Giraffes!
- 2With long, long necks, and long legs, giraffes are the tallest living land animals.
- 3Some giraffes reach a height of more than 17 feet.
- 4They're mammals, which means they are warm-blooded,...
- 5...they have fur, and they feed their babies milk.
- 6Giraffes live in Africa, south of the Sahara Desert.
- 7They prefer to live in open woodland or grassland,...
- 8...where they eat the leaves from trees that other animals can't reach.
- 9Giraffes are herbivores or plant-eaters.
- 10They can eat leaves from acacia trees...
- 11...because their long tongues and tough lips let them eat around the thorns.
- 12Lions will sometimes kill and eat giraffes,...
- 13...but usually the giraffes' long necks lets them see trouble coming...
- 14...and they just run away before the lions can catch them.
- 15That's why giraffes travel in herds.
- 16There's always someone watching for trouble.
- 17To stay safe, giraffes stay standing up almost all of the time.
- 18They eat standing up, they sleep standing up...
- 19...they even have their babies while they're standing up.